Ceramics Museum in Bolesławiec
The Ceramics Museum in Bolesławiec was founded in 1908. The design of a reconstruction of the existing building, connected with a 15-th century tower belonging to town fortifications, was created by a town architect Balzer, and the construction works were supervised by Peter Gansel jun.
Numerous eminent residents of Bolesławiec were engaged in the creation of the Museum, in particular the art collector and connoisseur Max Hoehne from Berlin, born in Bolesławiec, as well as church associations, the shooting brotherhood, representatives of guilds. The Museum was open for the public on the 21st Mat 1911.
Archaeologic collections were gathered there, as well as ethnographic ones, handicraft products, a great collection of ceramics from Bolesławiec and its neighbourhood, the portrait of Martin Optiz - a poet born in Bolesławiec, several other valuable pictures, historic documents and a large book collection.
In 1991 the Ceramics Museum received the building which was formerly the Kutuzow Museum administered by the Russians. After a several-year redecoration, on the 17th June 1995, the Town History Section was opened in the building. A permanent exhibition for the history of Bolesławiec is being prepared there, and periodical exhibitions presenting some issues from the past of the town are also presented there.
Distance from the Hotel: 230m